Montverde is the location of a Native American burial ground. The earliest record of American settlement is from 1865. Initially named “West Lake Apopka”, the site took the name “Monte Verde” from a settler from Vermont who remarked on its rolling green hills while arriving at the site by boat on Lake Apopka. The town of Montverde was incorporated on May 18, 1925.
The central feature of the town is Montverde Academy, a private preparatory school for primary and secondary students. The school was opened in 1912.