THE THREE RE’S OF PRESALE PREPAREDNESS
Our Three Re’s of presale preparedness are three easy-to-remember steps that can help you sell your home in less time for more money. The Three Re’s are: Renew, Remodel, and Reorganize. Below is a short breakdown of each of these steps, with a few specific examples of what they entail, on both the interior, and exterior of the house.
Presale preparedness – REnew
You can think of the “renew” phase of your home improvement investments as a home facelift. This phase includes making small repairs and touchups, as well as updating appliances to meet current market demands.
- Fix damaged molding, tiles, grout, and caulking.
- Patch any holes in the drywall.
- Repaint walls in neutral colors.
- Deep-clean carpets.
Check that plumbing, appliances, and outlets are in good working order.
- Upgrade appliances and fixtures to more modern, energy-smart models.
- Touch up or repaint the outside walls and doors (the front door is particularly important in making a good impression on buyers).
- Pressure-wash the driveway and walkways.
- Refinish decks.
- Repair any leaks in the roof.
- Replace tiles or shingles as necessary.
Presale preparedness – REmodel
If renewal is the facelift phase, then remodeling is a full-blown home makeover. For sellers, this can be the scariest phase of home improvement, and the easiest to get wrong. It isn’t always necessary (we can help you decide what, if any, remodeling projects to take on), but if done with the big picture in mind, remodeling can drastically raise your home’s marketability.
- Replace surfaces like floors and countertops with newer, more attractive materials.
- Replace doors or cut new doorways.
- Demolish walls to create open-concept layouts.
- Replace furniture.
- Replacing or adding a deck or patio is a great way to add value to your home.
- Add or replace shutters and awnings.
- Pour a new driveway or upgrade to brick.
- Add attractive landscaping elements.
Presale preparedness – REorganize
Reorganizing is the simplest step in preparing your home for sale, but you’d be surprised how much a bit of tidying up can help improve your home’s appeal. A well organized home will appear more spacious and welcoming, and will enable buyers to better visualize how their own belongings will transform the space.
- Clear countertops so they look as spacious as possible.
- Organize closets and cabinets.
- Organize and declutter the attic.
- Put away any personal items such as clothing, towels, and linens.
- Keep beds made whenever you’re not in them.
- Arrange any outdoor furniture in the most attractive possible configurations.
- Organize the garage while making sure it doesn’t turn into a storage unit.
- Remove any clutter from the yard and keep it well maintained at all times.
Getting your home ready for a sale is a big, multifaceted meta-project composed of many smaller ones, and some that are already big projects in their own right. We know it can feel overwhelming, but that’s why we’re here. With our professional advice on what projects to undertake, our comprehensive network of contractors and home furnishers, and our Three Re’s of presale preparedness, Authentic Real Estate Team can help you potentiate your home’s value and get the best possible return on your preparatory investments.